Tuesday, December 23, 2008

For the women...

Guys, you probably will want to skip reading this post since it is on the topic of nursing. =) As some of you know, I have been struggling to keep my milk supply where it needs to be to nurse Riley. It hasn't been easy but I have kept going because this is something I REALLY wanted this time around. I found some things out while going through this that I thought I'd share. This way, if you know anyone, now or in the future, you have tidbits to pass along.
Some of this info I got from my momma, some from other places. Here are a few great things you can eat(or drink) to boost your supply:
1) Malt (find it near the hot chocolate at the store)
2)Beer (I found that dark beers work best) drink one after a feeding so bub doesn't get the alcohol
3) Egg Nog (this is my favorite right now- I burnt out on malt)
4) Soaked oats- equal parts oatmeal and water- soaked overnight. Heat and eat. Works like a charm.
5) Chicken-skin on
A few things I found that drastically decrease my supply:
1) Alcohol-unless it's beer.
2) Skipping a meal or just snacking instead of sitting down and eating-bad!
3) Not drinking enough H2O
4) Cabbage-I just found out that you eat this when weaning, to help dry you up (guess the cabbage salsa I made was a bad choice :P)
Anyhow, I have found that a combination of all these things works well for me. I just wanted to share what I've learned so hopefully it can help someone else along the way. I thought that nursing would be a piece of cake, it's not (for me) but it is one of the most rewarding things I have ever done. I love it!

No comments: